Bandwidth/QOS-like feature.....

Got an idea? Missing something? Post your feature request here.
jsgates
Has thanked: 0

Bandwidth/QOS-like feature.....

Unread post by jsgates »

I have a feature suggestion that "on paper" doesn't seem to involved to implement.

Currently we have the ability to set the Default Bandwidth for video for a group, which is nice.

What would be a very nice addition would be the ability to control the bandwidth usage from Madsonic with a rule. It would work like this:

I would like to allow access to video for several of my users, but only up to a certain level.

So let's say I have 1.5 Mbps upstream on my internet connection. I would like users to be able to stream video, but not to the point where is is maxing out my upstream bandwidth.

If this was a general setting, it could apply globally for music and video. Like have a checkbox to enable bandwith control.

[X] - Allow Madsonic to use x % of upstream bandwidth.

Then if more than x % of bandwidth is being used when another user is tries to stream, they will receive a message stating the server is currently out of available bandwidth, or something similar.

In addition, it would be use to be able to set different bandwidth %'s for different days/times. (i.e. like after 5 pm allow 100% bandwidth usage, but before then, allow only 70% bandwidth usage to Madsonic).

This way it doesn't restrict who can stream, but does control how much bandwidth is being used.

-hogfan
Lars
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Bandwidth/QOS-like feature.....

Unread post by Lars »

Currently we have the ability to set the Default Bandwidth for video for a group, which is nice.

What would be a very nice addition would be the ability to control the bandwidth usage from Madsonic with a rule. It would work like this:

I would like to allow access to video for several of my users, but only up to a certain level.

So let's say I have 1.5 Mbps upstream on my internet connection. I would like users to be able to stream video, but not to the point where is is maxing out my upstream bandwidth.

If this was a general setting, it could apply globally for music and video. Like have a checkbox to enable bandwith control.
but wouldn't that restrict also the users in your LAN? my understanding is, you would like to restrict the upstream over your internet.
please correct me if i go with my following thought in the wrong direction, but as i see it - it would be way easier to try and do this:

- change the bandwidth default feature from video to to overall bandwidth
- now you could define groups along the line: LAN/ family (your LAN pretty much wide open), audio, video etc. and therefore make sure your LAN gets full speed, there is a certain allowance (based on your internet up-speed) for your audio and video users... if need is, you can define more groups with different bandwidth specs (friends, good friends, guests etc.) and over the group you can control access to media all/ video/ audio etc.

cheers, L
These users thanked the author Lars for the post:
Madsonic
Rating: 7.69%