Managing files

Got an idea? Missing something? Post your feature request here.
MadMonty
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Managing files

Unread post by MadMonty »

Hello from Germany.

I would like to be able to delete or move files and folders by subsonic GUI itself. At the moment im doing it by File Explorer, but this is not really confortable over remote/internet.
And i would like to be able to enable and disable this function by users/right management.
GJ51
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Managing files

Unread post by GJ51 »

I'm not speaking for the developer, but there has been a pretty thourough discussion of this topic over on the Subsonic forum and the consensus there was that this would present some difficulties and security issues that conclude that this would not be a good idea.

First there would be the problems of overcoming the differences associated with cross-platform issues. The program would have to be able to accomodate different Operating Systems and the associated permissions issues.

Second, if the first issue was solved, you then have to accept that giving that level of control and access to a program exposed to the internet would raise security issues that would make the risk/reward for this level of exposure unacceptable for most administrators.

I do have a "librarian" that administers my library remotely. He uploads new music to an upload server and edits tags and ensures a uniform structure within the library. We set up Filezilla on an isolated server that he has direct access to. With Filezilla, I was able to define the directories that he has access to and limit his access to the music library. The system works really well as he can add/delete folders or rename any file or folder within the music library. Every night just before the nightly routine file scan by Madsonic, Synctoy runs automatically and copies changes from the upload server to a storage server that serves as the primary archive.

Filezilla is a free download and gives you complete control over the files you allow access to.
MadMonty

File Access: Its not as difficult as you mean, because the file access functionality is inside already: The song upload function, editing ID3 tags...

Security: This is the reason, why it should be able to enable and disable this function by users/right management. If its disabled at current user, then you have the same security, like before.

I dont have a librarian. Filezilla is just a simple FTP tool and very slow over the internet. Im using Web File Manager for this. But its double work to find the path of the current song at the file system of the Web File Manager. Its playing already at Subsonic GUI, so it should be the most confortable way to edit it directly at Subsonic GUI...

If im searching for a title during listening or during a party, and if im getting double results, then i want to delete it immediateley, because later i have forgotten this. i will not write down a list of " things to do" during a party :c)

I know, the developers are not concerning about this, so im willfully to donate for this...
Beowolf

Unread post by Beowolf »

MadMonty

Teamviewer, FTP, Remote Desktop, SSH/Putty, Web File Manager... all the tools are great for "managing" only, i use them, too.
But there is no solution for "managing during listening". You always need a second tool for managing, and you will always be forced to find the path for each song twice.
GJ51
Contributor
Contributor

Unread post by GJ51 »

One of the suggestions on the Subsonic site that might serve as a temporary work around was to use the single star rating to tag the stuff you might want to frag later.