Goodbye Madsonic!

Post your Server Bug Report
zzzonedotnet

Goodbye Madsonic!

Unread post by zzzonedotnet »

I just need a reliable music server that has the following features:
---search (so I can find what I want to hear)
---apps (so I can actually listen to the music on a variety of devices ideally phones, tablets, computers, TVs)
---ongoing development (that's what technology is about)

Currently Madsonic does not meet any of those criteria and with the lack of development over the last 2 to 3 years, nothing is going to change, it appears.

Plex is great:
---searches are intelligent and bring up artist information, albums, best of playlists. quickly and easily, no matter how your music is organized
---app support is amazing and covers all platforms. Yep, every one of them, including my Samsung TV.
---development is steady and rapid. New apps and server versions appear regularly.

I rooted for Madsonic with a Premium subscription for at least 5 years but enough is enough. I need for the server and clients to actually work, on all the platforms that we have progressed to and for all of it to be improved over time.

Good luck, Madsonic crew.
H0TF00T
Has thanked: 0

Re: Goodbye Madsonic!

Unread post by H0TF00T »

I've often thought the same and tried different software for my library management.

Thing is not many offer the same amount of control and flexibility over your music media.
Everyone's preference and situation is different. ...
I run Logitech media server to stream to many speakers and enjoy the integration etc with Madsonic.

Hope the development continues and Covid only slowed this down for a moment.
zzzonedotnet

I also run Logitech Media Server with a variety of hardware including a couple of Booms, the Touch, a couple of picoplayers and best of all MusicCast speakers from Yamaha.

HOWEVER, none of that works OUTSIDE my home and that's the real beauty of Plex. The phone apps work like a charm.

What do you run outside your home?
H0TF00T
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by H0TF00T »

I only ever use my Logitech/Madsonic setup at home not outside.
When you use Plex are you casting to multiple speakers..outside of home? (sorry I didn't quite get what you were saying)
I am a big fan of Plex but only use it to manage my movies etc not the music collection.

.. listening to music outside of home I just use a Madsonic client on my phone.

Keen to have an understanding of what you mean about none of this working outside of home.
zzzonedotnet

1. I use Squeezebox for most music needs within my house/network.
2. I use Plex outside the house. I found the search engine must more robust than Madsonic and the app support much more broad to include TVs, all phones, etc. The server and apps are updated a few times every month.

How often is Madsonic updated / improved?

I love Madsonic but its lack of development has forced me out.
zzzonedotnet

Arguably the worse part of Plex is the Plex Pass but of course, Madsonic Premium is not free either.

If you want many of the benefits of Madsonic and Plex in something that is actively supported and under development, consider Jellyfin.

It's available for all platforms and has plenty of client support including Android.

https://jellyfin.org/

Good luck.