Bloody hsqldb

Post your Server Bug Report
DoCC
Contributor
Contributor

Bloody hsqldb

Unread post by DoCC »

Hi Mad ,

once again i am fed up with this crappy piece of database ....
i had may madsonic deamon running for about mmm 8 weeks or so ...
today ... after a fes songs : pandroa stopped working. -.-

selecting a new artist to start over threw up a errorpages with some java sql db stuff ...

i stopped the deamon and restarted it.
checking the log :

Code: Select all

[23.01.15 15:41]	INFO	DaoHelper	Checking database schema.
[23.01.15 15:41]	INFO	Schema47	Database table 'media_file' not found. Creating it.
[23.01.15 15:41]	ERROR	DaoHelper	Failed to initialize database.
[23.01.15 15:41]	INFO	DaoHelper	Checking HSQLDB version: 2.3.2
-> happy reinitialize ARGH

please, please , BITTSCHEN switch over to mysql.

thanks

d'ehre
DoCC
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Bloody hsqldb

Unread post by DoCC »

Connected thread : http://forum.madsonic.org/viewtopic.php ... dc64b29a92 >> madsonic 6 alpha

Since version 5420 there is no way to copy paste old settings from the madsonic.script file.
With an adminacc logged in you have access to the DB page.
Here you are able to do some DB query stuff . But this is very limited .

Settings which are able to paste in the new DB are :
- user accounts
- user roles
- player values
- user settings
- transcoder values
- user rating values
- podcast channels
- custom avatars
- transcoding2 values
- player transcoding2
- starred media
- playlist values

settings that are able to paste but causing errors :
- media folders >> media scanner service refuses to scan, results error
- podcast episodes >> listed but not shown as downloaded, causes traffic due to new download ( if still available via rss feed ) and causes podcastfile_1 , _2 , _3 etc ...

some things i monitored during the time using madsonic ....
with default settings ( daily media rescan at 03:00, hourly podcast search ):

- the bigger the media library gets , breakpoint at ca. 800 GB the more often the hsqldb crashes dropping the table "media_info"
- the hsqldb is more stable with casual listener behavior -> some random user planying some tracks and loggs out.
- the hsqldb gets in trouble with listeners beeing connected with a daily time of ca. 12 - 16 hrs.
- the hsqldb quits service after around 4 weeks having 2,5 users listening an avg time of 10 hrs. a day using pandora.

another point for the need of switching the database to mysql ( or something else ^^ ) :
- hsqldb runs in RAM, beein initiated with a script file.
-> for users like me :
( ESX virtual machine, shared RAM, ESX managing RAM swapping and other DEFAULT settings )
I got 24 GB RAM physically available, but my servers are allocating 32 GB RAM. ESX handles the RAM giving the machines the needed overhead .
If my devel servers are rendering or doing other stuff OR all MS servers being updated via WSUS the RAM gets a lil in trouble.
This results in crashing the hsqldb . both madsonic instances my 5420 on linux and the 6 alpha on MS got fucked up last Friday during the ms updated .

switching to ie. mysql will prevent such error-events. i never got lost of any data on my MySQL / MSSQL databases.
Lars
Contributor
Contributor

Unread post by Lars »

i take your word for it, that it is the database :(
i had endless probs as well since updating to 5420. many new to me since this last update.
b-side many db errors at the very beginning (database exeption error bla bla, dead windows like) - i solved most of them by reinstalling from scratch.
it seems also with quite a lot of functions we are going backwards at the moment...
genre search in the left frame used to be great as of late - now it is back to some weird 'basic' setting - just before it was working fine - genre x/genre y/genre z - basically genres and sub-genres listed in a line used to work - seems like not anymore.
themes are kinda screwed up now - for the bottom player frame, basically looks okay when using the 'fancy' scrollbar on a theme, for most not with the old style scrollbar - i would love to have that working again. this 'cutey' one is just unmanageable with lots of stuff in the left frame - just keeps 'gliding' past the stuff i wanna click on.
sometimes settings seem to just reset themself (kinda weird) - like ppl with access to my server suddenly can access settings, even if they are ticked out of the option. have to reset that manually, and the boxes are unchecked to begin with!!
out of nothing (ok, restart of system) and suddenly the artist pics within a band folder are there again, even if they are turned to off.
some albums are sometimes showing, sometimes not - weird as well.

anyway, at the moment the scrollbar issue really sucks (gimme back working skins with old style scrollbars!) and the customized genres not anymore shown in the genre drop-downs and taps are most likely the most annoying issues at the moment.

cheers, L
These users thanked the author Lars for the post:
DoCC
Rating: 7.69%
DoCC
Contributor
Contributor

Unread post by DoCC »

yarp,
i have done some research .
the used hsqldb is a very fast one, and it can handle an unlimited data amount ... but hey ... look at these quick comparison ...
http://database-management.softwareinsi ... B-vs-MySQL

I guess no one of us has a server at home with features brakeing this limitations ...

a very interesting point is ... oracle natively supports java ?.? and this damn hsqld not ? c'mon
Martin, do something : ))
gurutech
Contributor
Contributor

Unread post by gurutech »

I could probably hit the "Max Row Size" limitation.... :D
DoCC
Contributor
Contributor

Unread post by DoCC »

cool ! gimme a sample XD
Lars
Contributor
Contributor

Unread post by Lars »

i am surely the wrong person to chime in on the pro/con discussion of databases used (simply not enough detail knowledge), but we should also focus on the problems in the late releases, like 5420 seems to have created (at least in the gui) more probs than it solved really, the 6 beta i saw so far does not make it really better. i doubt that are suddenly db problems. i am also not happy with some issues i point to the db of choice, but it would be stupid to changethe db with so many other probs open at the moment. kinda opening a can of worms - many issues, now try to implement a diff. db = even more probs!!!!
i have about 12tb music running on my main madsonic and it copes with it most of the time. there are also probs, some might come from the docker implementation on my end with unraid. i kinda doubt it, but i def can say things slowed down a bit since using it as a docker container compared to the app implementation.
anyway thats kinda beyond my expertise, it didn't affect function really, it just slows things down.

cheers, L
DoCC
Contributor
Contributor

Unread post by DoCC »

öhm Lars , the syntax is quite the same. it may differ for large left joins group link structures, but madsonic doesn't seem to use this.
so the basics are the same, it justs need an other driver / connector / flansch / bridge - whatever.
an initial written madsonic.sql file for import. ok you would have to edit the madsonic.propertires files to add the dbhost,name,user,pass thingy but thats all ^^
These users thanked the author DoCC for the post:
Lars
Rating: 7.69%
sjbauer
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by sjbauer »

Something that I have noticed as of late is that it takes madsonic quite a while to shutdown properly -- Longer then the default init systems allow. How many of these database issues are caused by unclean shutdowns?

Steve
DoCC
Contributor
Contributor

Unread post by DoCC »

3/5 out of forced root shutdown / reboot while still running
4/5 power loss
1/2 fireing start -> restart -> stop within 30 secs

this is a "seems so" value. : ) don't know the exyct expression for that ^^
These users thanked the author DoCC for the post:
Lars