How to customize build 3760?

Need help? Post your questions here.
cosmindv
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

How to customize build 3760?

Unread post by cosmindv »

I am not that experienced on how i should do this until now it worked but now changes to jsp files no longer occour even after restarting the server. Sorry for the bad english.

Until now i customized my madsonic build with custom themes and some minor tweeks to the jsp files in "C:\madsonic\jetty\3760\webapp\WEB-INF\jsp" for example i made my own login.jsp with the pasword recovery only showing after <c:if test="${model.error}"> and i used placeholders in the user and password field to make it minimalist.
allobrogica

Re: How to customize build 3760?

Unread post by allobrogica »

Same here. How come the ability to customize the interface has been removed? Seems like a really bad idea. I've gone through all the editable files and changes have no effect - even with restarts and changing the original jar files. Perhaps the interface has been made into un-editable binary files? I tried several different v5 versions, all the same. Is there truly going to be no way to edit the interface?
cosmindv

Unread post by cosmindv »

updated to build 3800 and still cannot change jar files :( tried making my changes in madsonic.war cleand jetty folder and no changes to site,from where is the server getting it's .jar files? themes work but have to make some small changes to the jar files. Any solutions?
sironbla

Unread post by sironbla »

Same here..

Any dev statements?
inf3c73d

Unread post by inf3c73d »

Hello,

I'm new to madsonic, but experienced with subsonic.
(I'm using .deb installation package on latest Ubuntu)
I also find it strange not to be able to edit and customize the jsp files.

Also this mad respect for the work done, but how no one responds to this problem for over two months ?
It may be something small, please find time and drop a line if you know something about the case.

Thanks in advance!
These users thanked the author inf3c73d for the post:
Metzlmane
Rating: 7.69%
j3tblk

Unread post by j3tblk »

cosmindv wrote:I am not that experienced on how i should do this until now it worked but now changes to jsp files no longer occour even after restarting the server. Sorry for the bad english.

Until now i customized my madsonic build with custom themes and some minor tweeks to the jsp files in "C:\madsonic\jetty\3760\webapp\WEB-INF\jsp" for example i made my own login.jsp with the pasword recovery only showing after <c:if test="${model.error}"> and i used placeholders in the user and password field to make it minimalist.
Same problem. Why would someone kill the ability to customize the pages? shit! This sucks.
j3tblk

Unread post by j3tblk »

anybody?
thesuperpanda

Unread post by thesuperpanda »

It seems the new Madsonic build is using some sort of caching system.

For example. edit the title tag:

Before we used to edit /var/madsonic/3158/WEB-INF/jsp/head.jsp and it works.

Now if you edit the same head.jsp file, it wouldn't work.

I tried to view different folders and found this new folder on the new build.

Try to edit the title tag here. Once you restart the server, jetty would stop working. If you rename the file, jetty will work but it will show an error

/var/madsonic/jetty/3830/webapp/WEB-INF/classes/jsp/WEB_002dINF/jsp/head_jsp.class
j3tblk

Unread post by j3tblk »

thesuperpanda wrote:It seems the new Madsonic build is using some sort of caching system.

For example. edit the title tag:

Before we used to edit /var/madsonic/3158/WEB-INF/jsp/head.jsp and it works.

Now if you edit the same head.jsp file, it wouldn't work.

I tried to view different folders and found this new folder on the new build.

Try to edit the title tag here. Once you restart the server, jetty would stop working. If you rename the file, jetty will work but it will show an error

/var/madsonic/jetty/3830/webapp/WEB-INF/classes/jsp/WEB_002dINF/jsp/head_jsp.class
AWESOME FIND! I missed that. so it seems the devs don't want to talk about this issue but it's a deal breaker for me. Soooo... any ideas on how to get around this? Not even sure why it's using a cache system now. That just seems problematic from a mile away. I think I'll build up a VM and see if I can get around this. Any more finds\help would be appreciated!!
jsgates

Unread post by jsgates »

I'm sure Madevil will have an explanation on this at some point. He' probably busy working on other things at the moment. There isn't a huge dev team for Madsonic, so it may take some time before some new info is provided here on the forum. Madsonic just keeps getting better features and improvments with each new build.......so I would guess if a caching system is being implemented, there is a good reason for it.

-hogfan
j3tblk

Unread post by j3tblk »

jsgates wrote:I'm sure Madevil will have an explanation on this at some point. He' probably busy working on other things at the moment. There isn't a huge dev team for Madsonic, so it may take some time before some new info is provided here on the forum. Madsonic just keeps getting better features and improvments with each new build.......so I would guess if a caching system is being implemented, there is a good reason for it.

-hogfan

and we wait.

I can't wait to hear the logic too. [Sucks. I'm stuck on 3306-- I NEED to customize ]
GJ51
Contributor
Contributor

Unread post by GJ51 »

Hi guys,

There is only one developer and this forum has grown considerably. I know everyone's particular issues are important to them, but it's understandable if a given issue doesn't get noticed by the dev as fast as everyone would like.

Marty has done a phenomenal job of giving us features that many of us were asking for on the Subsonic forum for many years. If you think waiting a couple months for a reply on a given issue is frustrating, compare that with not getting any response for several years from the dev on the Subsonic forum.

I've contacted Marty on an alternate channel and asked him to look at the thread. I would ask for your patience as the compensation for what he does is no where worth the time and effort he puts into the project. Oftentimes a project like this will run in fits and starts with attention being given to specific areas at specific times that takes the dev's attention in different directions. Also keep in mind that this is technically a "User" forum and Marty's participation is far and above in comparison to similar venues.

I've written a lot over in the Subsonic forums regarding a cautious approach to editing jsp files. It can turn into a complicated investment in time and effort that can be wiped out if a new release takes a new approach and makes those edits obsolete. I used to do a lot of custom edits to the jsp's when I first started using Subsonic, but soon came to realize that having to redo those edits every time a new release came along was getting time consuming and not worth the effort.

I have every hope that you all get a satisfactory reply on this topic, but keep a realistic perspective.

HTH
These users thanked the author GJ51 for the post:
Madsonic
Rating: 7.69%
j3tblk

Unread post by j3tblk »

GJ51 wrote:Hi guys,

There is only one developer and this forum has grown considerably. I know everyone's particular issues are important to them, but it's understandable if a given issue doesn't get noticed by the dev as fast as everyone would like.

Marty has done a phenomenal job of giving us features that many of us were asking for on the Subsonic forum for many years. If you think waiting a couple months for a reply on a given issue is frustrating, compare that with not getting any response for several years from the dev on the Subsonic forum.

I've contacted Marty on an alternate channel and asked him to look at the thread. I would ask for your patience as the compensation for what he does is no where worth the time and effort he puts into the project. Oftentimes a project like this will run in fits and starts with attention being given to specific areas at specific times that takes the dev's attention in different directions. Also keep in mind that this is technically a "User" forum and Marty's participation is far and above in comparison to similar venues.

I've written a lot over in the Subsonic forums regarding a cautious approach to editing jsp files. It can turn into a complicated investment in time and effort that can be wiped out if a new release takes a new approach and makes those edits obsolete. I used to do a lot of custom edits to the jsp's when I first started using Subsonic, but soon came to realize that having to redo those edits every time a new release came along was getting time consuming and not worth the effort.

I have every hope that you all get a satisfactory reply on this topic, but keep a realistic perspective.

HTH

Susbonic is open source. That means you can modify it and I can modify as we see fit to do so. Welcome to Madsonic.

My particular server has a custom domain name, certificates and it sits behind a TMG server to help with security and to flip all 80 traffic to 443 traffic.

To make this all work I have to modify the .jsp files. I don't mind doing it. Is it a tedious chore? you bet it is but the results are worth it. I have a Dev environment with virtual servers that I make the changes on and then after everything is done and tested, I move it over to the production server. This being open source I'm free to modify the code to my liking. I also go so far as to change the verbiage for instance 'starred' I change to 'Favorites' 'Have you forgotten your password' becomes 'Forgot Your Password?' I capitalize every first letter so 'Now playing' become 'Now Playing.' you should see my themes. I have completely re-written the themes and I have all my own graphics and icons. It's all personal preferences.
I shut off (hide) all the features I don't use or want. Radio? Nope. Kill it. Social sharing? Unwanted...it goes on and on.

I can no longer set this up with out the ability to modify the .jsp pages. I'm stuck. I can wait months, hell, my live instance is now well over a year old. I'm very patient but my issue here is making it so we can no longer modify the jsp pages flies in the face of the entire open source concept. Imagine if the forum here wouldn't allow you to change the title to 'Madsonic' or if all your logos and icons are of a cartoon character from a 90's video game (oh wait). ;-)

I've PM'd the dev of this fork weeks ago asking for a reply. I've gotten no reply. I am very grateful for this fork, it is much closer to what I am looking for for my base install but it is a long way from what I want. I can do the rest, just let me do it.
GJ51
Contributor
Contributor

Unread post by GJ51 »

I apologize if anything in my post left you with the impression that I was implying that what you were doing was wrong or improper. This is certainly Open Source and everyone has the right to modify any portion of the program in similar fashion to what you've been doing.

I too, have several servers online and have the ability to have development instances and production instances that enables me to do a lot of configuration testing prior to making changes in the production setting. I doubt that is a capability that most have, but even if they do I merely wanted to bring attention to the effort needed and the risks involved with this sort of undertaking so that forum readers can make a more informed opinion for themselves before putting a lot of time and effort into extensive modifications that could easily become obsolete or non-functional in future versions.

I'm merely trying to point out the facts. Everyone is certainly free to make their own decisions.

I'm not looking to debate the topic at great length. The sole purpose for my post was to hopefully share some insight and point out that what is of paramount importance to you or me at any given time might not be at the top of the developers to do list, and the fact that this topic hasn't attracted his attention yet is not unexpected.

This is a User Forum on an Open Source product. The developer has no obligation to jump into every thread on demand.
j3tblk

Unread post by j3tblk »

GJ51 wrote:I apologize if anything in my post left you with the impression that I was implying that what you were doing was wrong or improper. This is certainly Open Source and everyone has the right to modify any portion of the program in similar fashion to what you've been doing.

I too, have several servers online and have the ability to have development instances and production instances that enables me to do a lot of configuration testing prior to making changes in the production setting. I doubt that is a capability that most have, but even if they do I merely wanted to bring attention to the effort needed and the risks involved with this sort of undertaking so that forum readers can make a more informed opinion for themselves before putting a lot of time and effort into extensive modifications that could easily become obsolete or non-functional in future versions.

I'm merely trying to point out the facts. Everyone is certainly free to make their own decisions.

I'm not looking to debate the topic at great length. The sole purpose for my post was to hopefully share some insight and point out that what is of paramount importance to you or me at any given time might not be at the top of the developers to do list, and the fact that this topic hasn't attracted his attention yet is not unexpected.

This is a User Forum on an Open Source product. The developer has no obligation to jump into every thread on demand.

I'm not asking the developer to jump in (although that would be nice). I'm asking the community for help to edit the .jsp files since we've lost that ability on this fork. Perhaps someone smarter than me can figure it out. I'm also pointing out how inconsistent this change is with the concept of OpenSource and how it negatively impacts those of us trying to use the latest versions.
dewd

Unread post by dewd »

My guess is the .jsp files are pre-compiled. Now I'm not a developer and I know just enough to break my system, so it may be best to search and learn about this from someone other than me.

I'm 99% sure that is what is going on here. :D
Madsonic
Administrator
Administrator
Answers: 7

Unread post by Madsonic »

j3tblk

Unread post by j3tblk »

May I please have instructions on how to do this?

EDIT: Donation made in hopes of getting timely help on this.