Library navigation behaving incorrectly

Need help? Post your questions here.
nefeli

Library navigation behaving incorrectly

Unread post by nefeli »

Hello,

First of all I want to say hi all!! (this is my first post). Today I installed MadSonic for first time :). As I have no previous experience I assume that what I'm going to tell is not a bug, but something that I don't know how to do. I tryied to solve the problem by myself prior to posting here, both reading and searching.

After the installation I added my media library, and while it was scanning I looked all the settings section. After muy collection was scanned (it's been done amaizingly fast!) I tryied to navigate withing it. I wen't to the "Artist" section and found it empty. when pressing a leter, it shows the genres instead of the artists. After that I can navigate into artists, discs and songs, but looks like MadSonic thinks that genres are artists:
GenresAsArtists.jpg
Another test I did is to use the genre combo box from the left side. When I select a genre, it shows below just de genre again and then, when I click it, I get the artists in panel in the right. Then I entered with admin user and looked in the DB tables. Information seems to be ok there, so it's not a matter of the indexer.

In my music folder files are ordered in the following way: genre (directory) -> artist (directory) -> Album (directory) -> discs (directoy per CD if an album has more than one) -> songs (files). I navigated to an album containing discs subfolders, and seen the information displayed in this way in MadSonic instead of "album cd1" and "album cd2", so I can confirm that MadSonic is displaying the filesystem layout instead tags layout. I search in settings and option to change the layout from folders to tag, but I couldn't find it. How can it be done?

In addition I found a bug. In the genre combobox selector in the left panel, the first genre is missing. Both in "radio" section and from android apps, I'm able to se genre "10", that is missing in the combobox.

Could someone help me, please?

Regards
These users thanked the author nefeli for the post:
Madsonic
Rating: 7.69%
bwood

Re: Library navigation behaving incorrectly

Unread post by bwood »

Hi,

The organisation of your library is the cause of your issue. Madsonic expects your library to be organised by Artist(directory)/Album(directory)/Tracks(files). Navigation works as expected with this organisation.

Regards,
Bruce
nefeli

Unread post by nefeli »

Hi,

Thank you very much for your answer. I understand that madsonic relays in filesystem hierarchy for displaying content, but I think this is completely wrong for a plattform designed to manage long music librarys and capable to read ID3 tags. Obviously this is just my opinion and I'm very thankful and impressed by the work done by madevil and subsonic team, but I think this behaviour should be improvered in madsonic to became a mature project.

My case illustrates exactly what I mean to say. I've been using Amarok for about 9 years with a dedicated MySQL DB being stored and backed up in another computer. Rearranging the physical layout of my music library means losing all statistical information accumulated over this time (play counters, fav songs, lyrics I wrote by myself, etc). Even more, means losing the ability to arrange music in my UPNP server in a way that can keep usability in my UPNP clients. What I mean to say is that madsonic is not a flexible system, but all the system must to be adapted to madsonic

I'll try to solve the problem creating a parallel directory with symbolic links to my content, so I need to know some specific details. The exact layout I use is: <genre>(dir)/<artist>/(dir)/<album_year> <album>(dir)/<track nº> <track name>.xxx (file). Is sufficient to remove the genre, or does madsonic need something more to be removed? (for example the album year or the track number).

Regards,
Oscar
These users thanked the author nefeli for the post:
Madsonic
Madsonic
Administrator
Administrator
Answers: 7

Unread post by Madsonic »

Hi there,

madsonic strength is more directory-based

To get the best effort from your example

Ex: \var\music\genre\pop\Air\2001 Albumname\01 Air - track.mp3

You should optimize your Media-folder entry-point,
then Madsonic maps all Artists from all your Media-folders together!

<MEDIAFOLDER>\<ARTIST>\<ALBUM>\<TRACK>

other example

These users thanked the author Madsonic for the post:
bwood