Page 1 of 1

Failed to index songs/albums with non-US characters

Posted: 30 Apr 2019, 14:10
by VikingOy
Hi All,

I noticed that Madsonic fails to index files with foreign characters.
Is there a way to set locale to UTF-8 or similar?

Viking

Re: Failed to index songs/albums with non-US characters

Posted: 08 May 2019, 09:54
by KaeTuuN
Can you specify the Problem?
1. Use this Header: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1520
2. What type of Files? MP3? Flac? ogg? avi? mkv?
3. Did you mean the Filenames or Informations like ID3-Tags?
4. Which Characters are problematic?
5. Can you see anything in the logfiles?

I have lots of Files with Ä, Ö, Ü, ä, ö, ü and they work without any Problem.


Greetings Kae

Re: Failed to index songs/albums with non-US characters

Posted: 07 Jun 2019, 13:55
by VikingOy
There are plenty of posts in this forum with similar topic. Noone seems to know how to tell Madsonic to use UTF-8.
If you have made this working, you are the only one. I'm sure the community would love to have an explanation.

2. In my case, I only use MP3 files
3. Albums and songs containing any special character(s) - filename or tag, is just ignored by Madsonic.
4. All non-ASCII characters. Umlauts, accents, special characters like the Scandinavian Æ, Ø and Å etc. etc.
5. Nothing in the logs about what has been skipped (ignored), nor why.

Please help.

Re: Failed to index songs/albums with non-US characters

Posted: 09 Jul 2019, 15:30
by Matt Zornig
VikingOy wrote:
07 Jun 2019, 13:55
There are plenty of posts in this forum with similar topic. Noone seems to know how to tell Madsonic to use UTF-8.
If you have made this working, you are the only one.
Its working here for me too, so we are two users now ;-D

Ok, all joking aside,
there is no UTF-8 setting, AFAIK, because it works out of the box.

Obviously, not for your box, so tell us about your box, use the support header, KaeTuuN mentionend in 1)

Also, please take screenshots from your files, and how it looks like in MadSonic.


So, if your explorer (or whatever filecommander on whatever system you use) shows something like

C:\music\mp3\album\song.mp3
C:\music\mp3\album with Æ, Ø and Å etc\song with Æ, Ø and Å etc.mp3

in MadSonic, you just see what?

Check my screenshots and help us, helping you.
2019-07-09 16-25-19_Total Commander (x64) 9.22a.png
2019-07-09 16-18-35_Aciddicted - Acid Junkies - Madsonic - Waterfox (Private Browsing).png
2019-07-09 16-18-10_Aciddicted - Acid Junkies - Madsonic - Waterfox (Private Browsing).png

[Solved] Failed to index songs/albums with non-US characters

Posted: 04 Feb 2020, 13:56
by VikingOy

Code: Select all

=========================================================================================
 VERSION:      MADSONIC 6.2.9084.8df1ddd.20190425.0305 
 SERVLET:      jetty/8.y.z-SNAPSHOT
 SERVER:       CPU: Intel® Celeron® J3455 quad-core 1.5 GHz | ARCH: X64 | MEMORY: 4GB | HDD: 12TB
 OS:              Linux 4.2.8 (amd64), (120.8 MB / 316.0 MB)
 SYSTEM:       QNAP NAS QTS 4.3.6
 INSTALLER:   DEB | DOCKER
 JAVA:           java 1.8.0_111
 BROWSER:    Chrome Version 80.0.3987.116 (64-bit)
 CLIENT:        MADSONIC 6.2
 DESCRIPTION:  Fails to index and play albums/tracks with foreign character in their name(s)
 REPRODUCIBLE: YES
=========================================================================================
This is how it looks in my web browser:
Image

After days, weeks and years of agony and frustration, I finally managed to find the reason for this problem: The Docker image that I used (pulled from Docker HUB) did not have native support for UTF-8 but instead used POSIX. Consequently, Madsonic could not index any word with foreign characters. Changing the locale in a docker image should be technically possible, but I was unsuccessful achieving that with this image. So my final solution was to drop that docker image, and instead just pull a standard Debian/Ubuntu Docker image and install the Madsonic *.deb image directly in the container. Of course I had manually install Java, and change the locale, and I still have to script a startup file to ensure that the container will survive a reboot.
But preliminary tests shows that it works, and all my albums with foregin characters is again playable.