View what other users are playing in right side panel

Got an idea? Missing something? Post your feature request here.
frank2228

Unread post by frank2228 »

Hi,
I would like to request the return of the option to see what others users are playing in the right hand panel like in Madsonic 5. I thought it was a great feature to see what others were listening to without having to navigate to a new screen or checking any logs. The Broadcast screen is nice but I don't like switching back and forth to see what is currently being played.
Thanks
Also sorry if this is already a feature and I am just blind and can't see it.

Update:
Thank you for including this in 6.1.8220!! I think you can move this post to the Solved Request. Mission Accomplished!
Last edited by frank2228 on 28 Apr 2016, 00:18, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author frank2228 for the post (total 2):
MadsonicTastyJams
Rating: 15.38%
MUDBUDDHA69

Re: View what other users are playing in right side panel

Unread post by MUDBUDDHA69 »

:thumbsup:
frank2228 wrote:Hi,
I would like to request the return of the option to see what others users are playing in the right hand panel like in Madsonic 5. I thought it was a great feature to see what others were listening to without having to navigate to a new screen or checking any logs. The Broadcast screen is nice but I don't like switching back and forth to see what is currently being played.
Thanks
Also sorry if this is already a feature and I am just blind and can't see it.
These users thanked the author MUDBUDDHA69 for the post:
frank2228
Rating: 7.69%
troycarpenter

Unread post by troycarpenter »

I need some more information about this. I only see what I'm playing on the right panel. There is a top-level menu item called "broadcast" that seems to show what everyone is playing. And there is a transfer status item that shows what's going out at any given time. The "Now Playing" selection doesn't work for me, it simply does the same thing as the "Home" selection does.

My issue is that the system can't seem to distinguish between what's being played at any given time vs. what's being cached by a device, like a tablet or phone.

For instance, I was playing a song on my phone that was already cached. Nowhere in the system did I see that noted it was playing (ok, maybe last.fm because I have that turned on). No info on the right, in broadcast or transfer status. I then started another song in Jamstash on my laptop. That showed up in all the places. I then started a song for ANOTHER user in another browser with Jamstash. That showed up in broadcast and transfer status, but nothing on the right panel (which is actually good...probably the way it should work). Then I went to my phone and added an album to the end of my playlist that wasn't cached. Instantly the album started downloading to the cache, even though something else was playing. The right panel, broadcast and transfer status now showed the new album as it was being downloaded to the phone's cache instead of what was currently playing.

What I would have expected is this:
  • 1. The right panel would show what I am currently playing from any device. If I'm playing two songs on different devices, then they should both show up there.
    2. The Broadcast menu should show what is currently playing from any device by anyone. It should be able to distinguish between what is playing and what is being downloaded into cache. Despite the misnomer, this should also include anything playing on a device that is cached. This menu item should probably be renamed to "Now Playing" as the existing "Now Playing" doesn't work for me (it sends me to the home page). Of course, this depends on the device notifying Madsonic when it starts and stops playing a song.
    3. The Transfer Status window should show any data that is actually, physically going out of the box. This list should include what is currently streaming, and any items being downloaded at that time. It should NOT list anything playing on a device that is cached since that music is NOT being transferred at that time.
These users thanked the author troycarpenter for the post:
frank2228
frank2228

So for reference I am using the latest beta build at the time of this post.

RightPanel vs SidePanel

For each user there is a display setting for Show RightPanel and Show SidePanel. SidePanel is the information panel about what you are currently listening to, it has the similar artists, top tracks, and whatnot. RightPanel is the Now playing panel. When I made the original post, RightPanel was not an option. Now, RightPanel will not only show what I am playing, it will also list what other users are listening to. I loved seeing that because it gives me inspiration on new things to listen to and a reason to chat up my friends/users about the music they are listening to.

See right_vs_side.jpg for a visual. The mobile_nowplaying is just a screenshot of what it looked like when I played something (streaming) from my mobile using the Android Madsonic app. Only reason I didn't use my frank2228 account is because it seems like LDAP didn't want to authenticate me on mobile. From experience though, if I am streaming something from the same account it would just say frank2228@madsonic or @X (X being whatever plugin or app that madsonic might recognize).

What I would have expected is this:
1. The right panel would show what I am currently playing from any device. If I'm playing two songs on different devices, then they should both show up there.
2. The Broadcast menu should show what is currently playing from any device by anyone. It should be able to distinguish between what is playing and what is being downloaded into cache. Despite the misnomer, this should also include anything playing on a device that is cached. This menu item should probably be renamed to "Now Playing" as the existing "Now Playing" doesn't work for me (it sends me to the home page). Of course, this depends on the device notifying Madsonic when it starts and stops playing a song.
3. The Transfer Status window should show any data that is actually, physically going out of the box. This list should include what is currently streaming, and any items being downloaded at that time. It should NOT list anything playing on a device that is cached since that music is NOT being transferred at that time.]
1. I will test to see how mine behaves but I think I have only ever seen the artist info for the player that is loaded in the browser I am using, not any other players.
2. Now Playing for me takes me to whatever directory the current playing song is under. Home takes me to the home page which I have set to show me recently added music. For example, if I hit now playing when I was listening to the Dave Brubeck song in right_vs_side.jpg, it would jump me to the folder for Dave Brubeck -> Time Out
3. I will also look to see what Transferstatus is showing for me.
Attachments
mobile_nowplaying.JPG
right_vs_side.JPG
frank2228

UPDATE:
  • 1. I logged in in two places with the same account and started playing music with both. The right panel did show what both players were playing no problem. However the side panel on each browser showed the same artist info. I think it chose to show the artist info of whichever player started first.
    3. When playing cached data on the mobile app, the transferstatus window did not indicate any activity for that device which is how you expected it to go. I then streamed from the mobile app and it did register in the transferstatus window.
These users thanked the author frank2228 for the post:
Madsonic
troycarpenter

Unread post by troycarpenter »

Also, I don't mind knowing what others are listening to since I am the administrator, but as a test I logged into the web interface as a very limited user while I was listening to music on my Android device with dSub. The restricted user was able to see what I was listening to, and it was showing content that the limited user doesn't have access to. However, if I clicked on the link to the restricted content, I got a message about not being subscribed to podcasts.

So, while I like to see what others are listening to, I certainly don't want non-admin users knowing what others are listening to.

Currently running: MADSONIC 6.1.8700.3847bea.20160915.0828
RomalaG.blivy
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by RomalaG.blivy »

add registration to view site photos:
or
add see through image cover watermark for members only please register
and admin or members can have an option to make the photo appear to non-registered or to registered users.