Madsonic on Linux, Windows Standalone, Tomcat

Need help? Post your questions here.
madsub

Madsonic on Linux, Windows Standalone, Tomcat

Unread post by madsub »

Hi,

till now I have used madsonic-server on a Mini-PC (Atom-CPU) with Windows 7, because this PC was used for several other windows-appications.
This is not longer necessary that means I can use this Mini-PC for only madsonic.

I wonder wether it is recommendable to change the operating system to Linux or change the standalone-windows-version to war.

Therefore I would like to hear of your expeeriences wether there are remarkable differences in performanc and stability with these solutions.
Insann
Has thanked: 0

Re: Madsonic on Linux, Windows Standalone, Tomcat

Unread post by Insann »

Hi,
i suggest you running Linux !
its the best way to run a server !

In all Linux OS, i suggest you the classic : Debian !
Clean, safe , not always the high end software but STABLE , easy to use ( for the basics ( you don't need more !)),
easy to learn with internet ( tonnes of topics about everything ! )

Standalone version isn't really needed i think ( only if you know why you're using it ! ( i may switch to standalone because of SSL and some others little stuff ),
installing with package is really easy you don't need much to do ! and working same as standalone ( standalone need more commands ^^ )

Most of people here use Debian or windows, only few use standalone ( and they know why ! )

So don't look for more work use Debian with package install and enjoy !

SOrry for my bad english
Insann
madsub

Unread post by madsub »

Insann wrote:Hi,
Most of people here use Debian or windows, only few use standalone ( and they know why ! )
But do they really know why?
I am not interested in general faith wars about Linux and Windows.
I would like to know if someone has some practical experience with these different ways of installing regarding performance.
gurutech
Contributor
Contributor

Unread post by gurutech »

I run Centos, which is based on Red Hat. Very stable IMHO. Fedora is also based off Red Hat, but is less stable than Centos (which is a more stable version of Fedora).
frank2228

Unread post by frank2228 »

I have run Madsonic on both Windows 7/10 computers and headless Ubuntu servers.
From my personal experience, my headless Ubuntu server has better performance especially when considering the hardware it is running on.
When on a Windows 7 laptop (i5 processor i think with 4gb ram) scanning the library could take up to 10 minutes. I had nothing else running on the laptop when I was using it to host Madsonic.
I temporarily installed Madsonic on my Windows 10 gaming rig (i7 with 16gb of ram) and that cut the scan time down by a lot, maybe half the time.
In comparison, my headless Ubuntu server is a virtualbox VM on a host that has an i7 released in 2008 and 8gb of ram. I have 4 vm's running on the host at all times (2 madsonic installations, ldap server, last is sort of a sandbox where i try stuff out). I give each vm 2gb of ram to use and the scan time is equal or better than even when i had it on my gaming rig.

With limited resources, I definitely think a headless linux server is the way to go. It may be intimidating at first but everything you would need to do is well documented online. also if you wanted to try to do a headless ubuntu install you can pm me with questiosn, i am happy to help.
These users thanked the author frank2228 for the post:
Madsonic
Rating: 7.69%