Organize By Folder Structure

Need help? Post your questions here.
iholder
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Organize By Folder Structure

Unread post by iholder »

I have been using Music Cabinet, which is another fork of subsonic for 3 or 4 years, but it is no longer being developed. So I started looking at alternatives, and the new version of Madsonic seems like it is going to be a great replacement for what I have been using. Just have one concern that I can't seem to figure out.

Organize by Folder Structure is checked and grayed out in Madsonic 6. Music Cabinet was able to use the Id3 tags to determine artist, and at this point that does not seem to be a functioning option in Madsonic. When I started testing how I might restructure my folders, I noticed that if I have artists in different folders, they display multiple times in the main view. For example I set up 4 Media Folders as listed below:

Root Folder 1: New Releases (2015)
Root Folder 2: Studio Albums
Root Folder 3: Singles
Foot Folder 4: Bootleg Shows

Regardless of whether I display them combined or separate, if the same artist is in each media folder, that artist will appear 4 times on the Home/Artist view. They are not repeated in the scrollable list in the left frame. Then if I attempt to use either iSub or AVSub to play music on an iphone, the artist folders are repeated there as well.

Question: Is this how this is intended to work if "Organize By Folder Structure" is enabled, or is this a bug? If it is not a bug, when will we be able to uncheck that box, so it will use the id3 tag rather than the folder name?

Thanks for any help or advice....

Jfmus
Aktarus

Re: Organize By Folder Structure

Unread post by Aktarus »

I was exactly in the same situation with musiccabinet...and now i'm in the same situation of you with madsonic...my checkbox is grey too and I can't deselect "Organize By Folder Structure"
Is it a bug or not ?? I don't know .. but manage music by mp3 tag could be very good. :)

MERCI
iholder

Unread post by iholder »

Madevil,

Any chance you could provide some support on this item. Just trying to confirm how to approach reorganizing a 200,000 track collection, and would prefer to be able to use id3 tags rather than the folder structure. Is this option going to be available as a premium service, or am I missing something. Can't find any details on the site one way or the other. Any feedback is appreciated.... Planning on becoming a lifetime member... Just want to confirm how this is going to work.

Thanks for the hard work... It is looking amazing!

jfmus
zivmphvx

Unread post by zivmphvx »

I too have this problem, I want to disable folder sorting, and switch to tag sorting.
Is this a bug, correct? Is it possible to find this setting in the config file and disable it there?
I hope this little annoyance is fixed!

Thank you very much for all the hard work.
mushm0uth

Unread post by mushm0uth »

Same question.
denzoid

Unread post by denzoid »

I would like to find out about this too. As it is, when sorting is set to "Random Albums", I get the artist's picture where album cover should be, and the artist's name where the album title should be (see attached image). I am not sure if this is directly related but I'd like to give this method it a try.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2016-06-24 at 3.12.58 AM.png
evilmanimani

Unread post by evilmanimani »

I've got the same question on this one. Any updates?

In my case I'll have my directories setup with the artists name (say, 'Aphex Twin') and if they have any albums released under a known alias, I'll have those as a subfolder (i.e. "As 'The Tuss'"). 'The Tuss' won't appear in the list of artists.

If I select 'Aphex Twin' as the artist, it'll show just one of 'The Tuss' albums in tile view, and clicking that will just go straight to the album in question. Then by clicking the "As 'The Tuss'" link in the breadcrumbs at the top (Aphex Twin » As 'The Tuss' » Confederation Trough EP) I can go do that directory.
example2.PNG
If I have the browser set to list view it's a bit more direct, as it'll show the "As 'The Tuss'" folder in that view and go directly to the directory with the other album:
example3.PNG
Subsonic appears to not show the artist 'The Tuss' in the Artist list either, however it will show the sub-folders as separate from the top of the list of albums:
example.PNG
Browsing by tag would of course be ideal, but the current folder implementation seems to have some trouble with subfolders as well. Thanks for any suggestions anyone may have.
Aktarus

Unread post by Aktarus »

Hello,

In my case, something goes wrong with the MediaType "detection"
Almost of my artists folder are detected as ALBUMSET instead of Artist by the scan process.

This behavior bring me problem like artist top track list and maybe the cause of your problem...

Of course, music tag could be nice and maybe fix these problem.

Merci ... and sorry for my poor english ;)
Fletchesus

Unread post by Fletchesus »

I would also be interested in how to "uncheck" the Organize by folder structure box, to permit organization by ID3 tags. Thanks.
SerpensAlatus

Unread post by SerpensAlatus »

Does Madsonic read these requests???
madsub

Unread post by madsub »

Fletchesus wrote:I would also be interested in how to "uncheck" the Organize by folder structure box, to permit organization by ID3 tags. Thanks.
And I would like to know how I can tell Madsonic to really use the folder-struchture as it is without any "intelligent" parsing.
These users thanked the author madsub for the post:
skrank
Rating: 7.69%
Eddie

Unread post by Eddie »

I too would like the ability for madsonic to use my id3 tags instead of folder structure....
I do not feel like renaming 1000+ mp3s and placing each one in a folder with the name of the artist
Eddie

Unread post by Eddie »

Well i figured out how to restructure my MP3 collection painlessly.... i hope this helps someone else
http://forum.madsonic.org/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=2050
These users thanked the author Eddie for the post:
Madsonic
Rating: 7.69%