external postgres database?

Need help? Post your questions here.
joris
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

external postgres database?

Unread post by joris »

Maybe I am missing something obvious, but I read that there is support for an external postgres database in 6.x I just installed madsonic 6.x and I don't see anyway how to use a postgres database.

I am a longtime Musciccabinet user and the postgres db in Musiccabinet fixed all the problems I previously had with Subsonic. Postgres is running anyway for another application on my not so resourceful server, so it would be a big + to use it.

Any clues how I get postgres & madsonic working together?
joris
Has thanked: 0

Re: external postgres database?

Unread post by joris »

Yes I was missing something completely obvious, although at this point I still don't have Madsonic running with postgress.

For other people looking into this:
In the config file /etc/default/madsonic you can specify MADSONIC_ARGS. There you can use the option --db to specify an jdbc url. For postgres this url needs to be formatted like this: --db=jdbc:postgresql://localhost:5432/yourdatabase?user=youruser&password=yourpass"

After that it still wasn't working properly. There was some issue with madsonic not able to connect to the postgres database. Although I am too much of a noob to really understand the issue, I found a solution here: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4562 ... -with-jdbc

After editing the pg_hba.conf and adding the line:

Code: Select all

host    all         all         127.0.0.1/32          md5 
Madsonic can connect to postgres.

Sadly Madsonic still doesn't work at this point. It fails with a bad SQL grammer error when Madsonic is trying to fill the database at first startup. Maybe this is expected behaviour. Because /usr/share/madsonic/madsonic.sh --help also says:

Code: Select all

--db=JDBC_URL     Use alternate database. MySQL and HSQL are currently supported.
Please post if anybody has a hint or workaround to get Madsonic working with postgres.
gurutech
Contributor
Contributor

Unread post by gurutech »

It hasn't been implemented yet, as Madsonic 6.x is still in "beta" stages. I believe once it reaches full release, the external database feature will be included.
amit213

Unread post by amit213 »

Gurutech,

Could you please confirm if Madsonic stable 6.0 tag has the ability to use "external database" (mqsql, postgre etc.) working in a stable manner?

We really need this feature. Could you please point to some documentation that covers how to configure it. We licensed users.

Thanks

-Amit
gurutech wrote:It hasn't been implemented yet, as Madsonic 6.x is still in "beta" stages. I believe once it reaches full release, the external database feature will be included.