Firefox Flash Crash - m4a, flac [Solved]

Need help? Post your questions here.
willieb1172

Firefox Flash Crash - m4a, flac [Solved]

Unread post by willieb1172 »

I am running Madsonic Server 5.0 Build 3710 on Debian 7 and have issues with firefox. When I click play on a file nothing happens for a few seconds. I then hear a couple blips of audio like it's skipping, then I get the image below. Sometimes I get a flash has crashed and asks me to send an error report. This doesn't happen with the standalone of 3710 on my windows 8 desktop (The same firefox browser I'm access my Debian server with).

I noticed it with 3700, maybe even before. Do I need to replace some additional files on my Debian server? Suggestions? Thanks.
Capture.JPG
Last edited by willieb1172 on 04 Oct 2013, 04:19, edited 2 times in total.
gurutech
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Firefox Flash Crash - 5.0 Build 3710 (and earlier versio

Unread post by gurutech »

switch to HTML5. :D
willieb1172

gurutech wrote:switch to HTML5. :D
Thanks for the suggestion, but it does the same thing with HTML5...
gurutech
Contributor
Contributor

Unread post by gurutech »

Make sure you have the latest version of flash, and clear your cache too.

You can go to www.ninite.com and download all of the "runtimes" in a single install file, it will only install what needs to be updated, and it automatically disables all the "crapware" that most people install automatically (such as the ask toolbar when installing java).
willieb1172

I have cleared cache and I have the latest version of flash.

I was able to fix it with these steps:

1.) uninstall subsonic
2.) renamed /var/madsonic to /var/madsonic.orig
3.) install Build 3710 from .deb
4.) stop service
5.) replace subsonic.script from /var/madsonic.orig/db/subsonic.script
6.) start service
7.) scan media

Works fine now.

Edit: Nevermind, it's still doing the same thing.
These users thanked the author willieb1172 for the post:
Madsonic
Rating: 7.69%
willieb1172

Well it started back doing the same thing. I'm out of ideas, not sure how to fix it now.

I also tried another PC, same thing. Audio intermittently comes and goes, then flash crashes.
cndmioa
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by cndmioa »

willieb1172 wrote:Well it started back doing the same thing. I'm out of ideas, not sure how to fix it now.

I also tried another PC, same thing. Audio intermittently comes and goes, then flash crashes.
I actually started having this exact issue when trying to play flac files. Flash would just lockup and firefox would give me the error. I ended up finding some posts about it that mentioned switching to oracle's java instead which sure enough did fix the problem for me. I'm not sure how similar your issue is though as I said it was only on non mp3 audio that I had the trouble. For reference my server is Ubuntu 12.04.

Sorry that I don't have much more to suggest, hopefully you can get it ironed out.
These users thanked the author cndmioa for the post (total 2):
hanshansMadsonic
Rating: 15.38%
willieb1172

cndmioa wrote:
willieb1172 wrote:Well it started back doing the same thing. I'm out of ideas, not sure how to fix it now.

I actually started having this exact issue when trying to play flac files. Flash would just lockup and firefox would give me the error. I ended up finding some posts about it that mentioned switching to oracle's java instead which sure enough did fix the problem for me. I'm not sure how similar your issue is though as I said it was only on non mp3 audio that I had the trouble. For reference my server is Ubuntu 12.04.

Sorry that I don't have much more to suggest, hopefully you can get it ironed out.
I'm think you're on to something, all my audio files are m4a! I tested a mp3 and it works fine. Can you suggest how I install oracle java? I assume you mean on my server...

Code: Select all

root@ct200:~# dpkg -l | grep -i jdk
ii  icedtea-7-jre-jamvm:amd64       7u25-2.3.10-1~deb7u1               amd64        Alternative JVM for OpenJDK, using JamVM
ii  openjdk-7-jre:amd64             7u25-2.3.10-1~deb7u1               amd64        OpenJDK Java runtime, using Hotspot JIT
ii  openjdk-7-jre-headless:amd64    7u25-2.3.10-1~deb7u1               amd64        OpenJDK Java runtime, using Hotspot JIT (headless)
ii  openjdk-7-jre-lib               7u25-2.3.10-1~deb7u1               all          OpenJDK Java runtime (architecture independent libraries)
root@ct200:~#
Last edited by willieb1172 on 03 Oct 2013, 19:02, edited 1 time in total.
cndmioa

Unread post by cndmioa »

willieb1172 wrote: I'm think you're on to something, all my audio files are m4a! I tested a mp3 and it works fine. Can you suggest how I install oracle java? I assume you mean on my server...
Oh now that I think about it m4a did it as well I just only have a couple in that format. Here's the info I used on installing oracle's jdk it was pretty simple.

http://www.webupd8.org/2012/01/install- ... u-via.html

Edit: Just noticed at the bottom of that page is a link to the debian instructions which is probably more helpful to you.
http://www.webupd8.org/2012/06/how-to-i ... ebian.html

I think I actually left my old java installed (openjdk) judging by my pkg list since I think the oracle one just takes over on it's own. That way I was ready to remove it if needed. Madsonic was the only service I run that uses java so the change wasn't much trouble for me, but if you run other java apps I couldn't say with any certainty if it would cause problems changing from one to the other.

My installed packages:

# dpkg -l | grep -i jdk
ii  icedtea-7-jre-jamvm              7u25-2.3.10-1ubuntu0.12.04.2        Alternative JVM for OpenJDK, using JamVM
ii  openjdk-7-jre                    7u25-2.3.10-1ubuntu0.12.04.2        OpenJDK Java runtime, using Hotspot JIT
ii  openjdk-7-jre-headless           7u25-2.3.10-1ubuntu0.12.04.2        OpenJDK Java runtime, using Hotspot JIT (headless)
ii  openjdk-7-jre-lib                7u25-2.3.10-1ubuntu0.12.04.2        OpenJDK Java runtime (architecture independent libraries)
ii  oracle-java7-installer           7u40-0~webupd8~0                    Oracle Java(TM) Development Kit (JDK) 7
willieb1172

cndmioa wrote:
willieb1172 wrote: I'm think you're on to something, all my audio files are m4a! I tested a mp3 and it works fine. Can you suggest how I install oracle java? I assume you mean on my server...
Oh now that I think about it m4a did it as well I just only have a couple in that format. Here's the info I used on installing oracle's jdk it was pretty simple.

http://www.webupd8.org/2012/01/install- ... u-via.html

Edit: Just noticed at the bottom of that page is a link to the debian instructions which is probably more helpful to you.
http://www.webupd8.org/2012/06/how-to-i ... ebian.html

I think I actually left my old java installed (openjdk) judging by my pkg list since I think the oracle one just takes over on it's own. That way I was ready to remove it if needed. Madsonic was the only service I run that uses java so the change wasn't much trouble for me, but if you run other java apps I couldn't say with any certainty if it would cause problems changing from one to the other.

My installed packages:

# dpkg -l | grep -i jdk
ii  icedtea-7-jre-jamvm              7u25-2.3.10-1ubuntu0.12.04.2        Alternative JVM for OpenJDK, using JamVM
ii  openjdk-7-jre                    7u25-2.3.10-1ubuntu0.12.04.2        OpenJDK Java runtime, using Hotspot JIT
ii  openjdk-7-jre-headless           7u25-2.3.10-1ubuntu0.12.04.2        OpenJDK Java runtime, using Hotspot JIT (headless)
ii  openjdk-7-jre-lib                7u25-2.3.10-1ubuntu0.12.04.2        OpenJDK Java runtime (architecture independent libraries)
ii  oracle-java7-installer           7u40-0~webupd8~0                    Oracle Java(TM) Development Kit (JDK) 7
Yup, that fixed it. Streams perfectly now. Thanks cndmioa and everyone else. I did see the issues with flac but didn't associate it with my issue since I wasn't using flac. Thanks again... :-)
cndmioa

Unread post by cndmioa »

willieb1172 wrote: Yup, that fixed it. Streams perfectly now. Thanks cndmioa and everyone else. I did see the issues with flac but didn't associate it with my issue since I wasn't using flac. Thanks again... :-)

Woot! I'm glad to hear that it worked. I'm not sure why changing the java runtime helps considering the transcoding is done by an external executable, but it works and that's good enough for me. :D
hanshans

Unread post by hanshans »

cndmioa wrote:

Thank you :-)

Solved a problem here to :-)
These users thanked the author hanshans for the post:
Madsonic
Rating: 7.69%