codec

Need help? Post your questions here.
Beowolf
Has thanked: 0

codec

Unread post by Beowolf »

encoded using the 'On2 VP7' codec
the series CHIPS wont stream and since i have tried fixing the trans coding most videos do not have access
Madsonic
Administrator
Administrator
Answers: 7

Re: codec

Unread post by Madsonic »

Did you try older/newest/other ffmpeg version?
Beowolf

Unread post by Beowolf »

is there a way to default the ffmpeg or add better?
GJ51
Contributor
Contributor

Unread post by GJ51 »

Ottawatt
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Ottawatt »

hey any way someone can give me a custom transcoding line to add lol
i really such at this.

am a Friend of Beowolfs
GJ51
Contributor
Contributor

Unread post by GJ51 »

Most of the default transcoding strings work just fine. Are you having a specific issue that you are having trouble with?

Audioffmpeg -i %s -ab %bk -v 0 -f mp3 -

Will handle most audio needs.

ffmpeg -ss %o -i %s -async 30 -b %bk -r 23-.976 -s %wx%h -ar 44100 -ac 2 -v 0 -f flv -vcodec libx264 -preset fast -threads 0 -

Will handle most video needs for flash playback.

Use

Audioffmpeg -v 0 -i %s -f ogg -vn -acodec libvorbis -ar 44100 -aq 4 -ac 2 -map_meta_data 0:0 -

if you want audio transcoding to ogg format for a more efficient format that works well on the Android app.

Other than that the only likely issue you might run into is if you have problems with flac files.
Ottawatt

videos odd codecs
GJ51
Contributor
Contributor

Unread post by GJ51 »

I'm not sure what you mean.

Videoffmpeg -ss %o -i %s -async 30 -b %bk -r 23-.976 -s %wx%h -ar 44100 -ac 2 -v 0 -f flv -vcodec libx264 -preset fast -threads 0 -

This setting handles all of my video transcoding for all different file types from avi to wtv files. ffmpeg converts everything to flash as the output.

Madsonic can also be setup to output HTML5, but I haven't tested that extensively yet.

What "odd" codecs are you having trouble with? I haven't run into anything that ffmpeg can't handle yet, but I suppose there are some out there. I see that the On2 VP7 is no longer out there and I don't know if ffmpeg can handle it, but I'll be happy to test a sample file for you if you like, just send me a download link via PM.

Also remember that you have to add the file extension to the video files list both in Settings/General so that the files show up, and then also to the extensions list on the "flv/h264 video" transcoding "Convert from" box.
Ottawatt

GJ51
Contributor
Contributor

Unread post by GJ51 »

Yeah, that one's a real peach.

It doesn't even play in VLC, WMP, or any of the other players I tried. What video player do you use and what codec is it supposed to be?

I can get the audio output, but nothing I've tried can render the video. AVS video editor reports codec VP 70 not installed.

It looks like you'll have to convert it to a more acceptable format to use with Subsonic/Madsonic. I saw some suggestions to use Format Factory, but I have no experience with that particular software although it looks like a free download.

If you do reformat I suggest making it an mp4 and then using QTIndexSwapper2 to move the video indexing to the front of the mp4 so that you can seek within the video.

HTH

If I get some free time I'll give it a try.
GJ51
Contributor
Contributor

Unread post by GJ51 »

http://xw8600.subsonic.org/share/MOuER

That cat be skinned!

Use Format Factory to convert it to FLV. You can set it up to do batch processing of the videos. If you convert the videos directly to flv then there is no on the fly transcoding needed for subsequent playbacks which will significantly reduce the load on the server.

Format Factory:

http://download.cnet.com/3055-2194_4-10 ... =pdl-redir

Be careful if you install Format Factory, it will try to sneak Ask.com browser toolbar onto your system. I unchecked the option during install but it popped up later anyway and I had to go into Control Panel and uninstall it.