Issue with FLAC files

Need help? Post your questions here.
ftfylol1

Issue with FLAC files

Unread post by ftfylol1 »

I'm unable to play FLAC files on my android device using the dsub or madsonic app. The songs play fine in any browser. This leads me to believe that the issue is either with the madsonic server or my phone.

I've tried subsonic-transcode_latest_2013-03-07, subsonic-transcode_latest_2013-01-15, Madsonic v4.0.8.150.apk, and dsub 3.8.3

Currently running Madsonic Server 4.8.3360.beta3
jonnymnemo
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Issue with FLAC files

Unread post by jonnymnemo »

In the transcode settings, try to replace Audioffmpeg with ffmpeg (like for the video files).
Maybe it can solve your problem, it did for me (couldn't play them in browsers either).
Madsonic
Administrator
Administrator
Answers: 7

Unread post by Madsonic »

ftfylol1 wrote:I'm unable to play FLAC files on my android device using the dsub or madsonic app. The songs play fine in any browser. This leads me to believe that the issue is either with the madsonic server or my phone.

I've tried subsonic-transcode_latest_2013-03-07, subsonic-transcode_latest_2013-01-15, Madsonic v4.0.8.150.apk, and dsub 3.8.3

Currently running Madsonic Server 4.8.3360.beta3
This could be caused by a change in the transcodingservice.java.

Code: Select all

Hashtable<String, List<String>> hashClientsFormats = new Hashtable<String, List<String>>();

hashClientsFormats.put("ISUB", Arrays.asList("MP3", "AAC", "M4A", "OGG", "FLAC"));
        hashClientsFormats.put("DSUB", Arrays.asList("MP3", "AAC", "M4A", "OGG", "FLAC"));
        hashClientsFormats.put("ANDROID", Arrays.asList("MP3", "AAC", "M4A", "OGG", "FLAC"));
        hashClientsFormats.put("MADSONIC", Arrays.asList("MP3", "AAC", "M4A", "OGG", "FLAC"));
        hashClientsFormats.put("THUMPER", Arrays.asList("MP3", "AAC", "M4A"));
        hashClientsFormats.put("SUBWIJI", Arrays.asList("MP3"));
by this change, clients can natively download files instead of transcoding.
If the Server detect a supported client, and found no active transcode setting, the client will download the file without transcoding.

SERVER-LOG

## "madsonic-Client supports natively FLAC, Download file."

WORKAROUND

Within your Client-App, set the max. Transcoding to 320kbps, this should help if your Phone doesn't support this format.

Best regards
These users thanked the author Madsonic for the post:
ftfylol1
Rating: 7.69%
Skinjob

Unread post by Skinjob »

It's probably not the transcoding if it's working in the browser, but you never know. Are you using the default "m4a/FLAC audio" settings to transcode FLAC to MP3?

The transcoder settings should look like this:

Name: m4a/FLAC audio
To: mp3
Step 1: Audioffmpeg -i %s -ab %bk -ar 44100 -ac 2 -v 0 -f mp3 -

Assuming you're using that, the issue might be with player configuration. Each transcoder has to be enabled on the specific player. And there will be a different player config for each browser or app. So maybe it's enabled in the player used by the browser, but not in the ones used by the apps. It would normally be enabled on every player by default, but again, you never know. Go into Settings->Players and make sure the "m4a/FLAC audio" transcoder is enabled on all of the players.
These users thanked the author Skinjob for the post:
JwlzT
headcase59
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by headcase59 »

I had a similar issue. FLAC and M4A wouldn't play for me in MIniSub, but worked in the regular Madsonic website.

I compared Madsonic's transcoding settings with a vanilla Subsonic installation. Madsonic has a special entry for FLAC/M4A where Subsonic does not.

I fixed the MIniSub issue by removing the special 'm4a/FLAC audio' entry and added the FLAC and M4A extensions to the 'mp3 audio' entry.

I'm guessing there's a reason for the separate setting in Madsonic (maybe it's optimized or something), and I was hesitant to change it, however, it solved my issue.

Edit: In retrospect I would try Skinjob's suggestion first:
Assuming you're using that, the issue might be with player configuration. Each transcoder has to be enabled on the specific player. And there will be a different player config for each browser or app. So maybe it's enabled in the player used by the browser, but not in the ones used by the apps. It would normally be enabled on every player by default, but again, you never know. Go into Settings->Players and make sure the "m4a/FLAC audio" transcoder is enabled on all of the players.
These users thanked the author headcase59 for the post:
Madsonic
ftfylol1

Unread post by ftfylol1 »

Madevil wrote: WORKAROUND

Within your Client-App, set the max. Transcoding to 320kbps, this should help if your Phone doesn't support this format.
I know I'm a bit delayed coming back here, but real life got in the way.

This fixed it. Thanks so much for the reply
These users thanked the author ftfylol1 for the post:
Madsonic
raidflex

Unread post by raidflex »

I have a similar issue, but I cannot play any content on the website player. All my music is currently in flac format. I have tried the trans-coding settings for flac in this post but with no luck.

Basically I can play the file and add it to the play list but I hear no sound and the bar will not move showing that its playing.

I am able to play songs on my Android phone in either 320 bit-rate or full flac quality with the Madsonic app without issues. I have also tried playing the content on both Chrome and Firefox and also on Windows 7 and Ubuntu 13.04. It also does not matter if I play the files on my LAN or access the internet, I still have the same issue.

I have also checked the player and made sure all trans-coding options are selected.

The logs do not show an error of any kind, just that the user has starting playing the file.

[5/1/13 12:59:48 PM EDT]	INFO	PlayQueueInputStream	admin listening to "Fly on the Wall [1985]/05 AC_DC - Fly on the Wall [1985]- Sink The Pink.flac"
Please advise thanks.
raidflex

Bump.. Anyone have any ideas? I want to setup more users but this is a major limitation now and still have yet to find a solution.
Madsonic
Administrator
Administrator
Answers: 7

Unread post by Madsonic »

raidflex wrote:Bump.. Anyone have any ideas? I want to setup more users but this is a major limitation now and still have yet to find a solution.
Hi there

What OS did you use,

which Browser did you try and does it work with the internal MiniSub?

Did you change or check your transcoding settings/ffmpeg version?

Other Apps play this file on your system?

Best regards
raidflex

Freenas 8.3.1p2 (Using this guide) http://forum.madsonic.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=475

I have tried both Google Chrome and Firefox on Ubuntu 13.04 and Windows 7.

I have also tried minisub and have the same issue. The issue seems to be present with any flash or html5 player.

I can play files fine with VLC and also the Madsonic Android app.

Currently using: Madsonic Server 5.0 Beta1 Build 3462
raidflex

After more testing I am able to play songs through the web player when using the Subsonic PBI plugin that Joshua Parker Ruehlig created and even after I updated the plugin to Subsonic 4.8 it would still work properly.

But still for some reason the web player will not work when I manually install the packages within the Freenas plugins jail with either Madsonic 4.8 or 5.0.

There must be something else in the PBI plugin that is different from when I manually install the packages, the problem is I am not sure what it is.

I even tried using the lame and ffmpeg files from the PBI in my Madsonic install, but this did not work.
raidflex

I was able to fix the transcoding problem with FFMPEG, but files do not play properly.

What i find is that flac files will be added to the playlist and transcode, but will not start playing.

Sometimes if I double click the file to play it, it will start playing. Also if I seek the file a couple of seconds it does play properly.

MP3 files will play properly.

EDIT: I find the same problem exists in the minisub player also.

EDIT2: I found this error in the log, which seems to be related to the songs not playing.

[5/5/13 12:17:17 AM EDT]	DEBUG	InputStreamReaderThread	(/var/subsonic/transcode/ffmpeg) Press [q] to stop, [?] for help
raidflex

Bump... Anyone have any ideas with problem I am receiving in above post?

It seems like there is something stuck in the buffer, preventing the songs from playing when added to the playlist. Even if I hit the play button on a single song Madsonic exhibits the same issue.
raidflex

I was able to solve the issue, basically the embedded artwork info in the metadata of each song was causing the problem. Here is a link to the solution.

http://forum.subsonic.org/forum/viewtop ... 016#p56016
These users thanked the author raidflex for the post:
Madsonic