Where are the playlists stored?

Need help? Post your questions here.
bcrivers

Where are the playlists stored?

Unread post by bcrivers »

I created a few playlists, then went to the c:\playlists folder. The folder is empty? Where are the *.m3u files stored? I am using Windows 2008 Server.
gurutech
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Where are the playlists stored?

Unread post by gurutech »

You need to export them first, then they will show up in your playlist folder.
bcrivers

Unread post by bcrivers »

Thanks got it. I remember in my Ubuntu install of Subsonic 4.7, it stored .m3u files in a playlist folder. I guess this version you need to export them. Thank you.
aadam12

Unread post by aadam12 »

I'm confused. I'm running Madsonic 5.0.3500.beta3 on Ubuntu Server 13.04. From my Ubuntu laptop, outisde of my home, via the internet, I open Firefox log into my Madsonic server. I add a bunch of songs to the Play Queue. I click Save Playlist, it automatically gets named as "date-time". It does not prompt me to save it with a name of my choice like "2013-Pop-Hits".

To see if it saved on my server, I opened a terminal and ssh into my acutal Ubuntu server and cd to the Playlists directory. I DO NOT see the playlist that I just created. I do however see it listed in the Madsonic browser under Playlists as "date-time".

OK, so according to this post I have to click on that Playlist and then Export it. When I click on Export it downloads the playlist file to my laptop as an m3u8 file. Now I can rename the file to "2013-Pop-Hits.m3u8. Then I have to go back onto Madsonic, Import (upload) that same file back onto the server so that everyone else can see it. Then I have to go and delete the original playlist that was named "date-time".

This seems like an awful lot of work to create, rename and share playlists.

That playlist file is still NOT in the Playlists folder on my Server nor is there anything in the Exports folder. Shouldn't Madsonic be saving my playlists on the server in the Playlists/Export folder so that my other users can access it via their Madsonic browser or are they all saved in the database under my username until I do the Export/Import round trip?
gurutech
Contributor
Contributor

If you click on the "date/time" playlist, it will show up in the main window. One of the options is to "edit" the playlist, which allows you to simply rename it to whatever you want. I know the ability to name it as you create it has been suggested, so that may be in a future version.

As far as exporting/importing, and where the playlists are stored - they are stored within the database itself, so unless you export the playlist, you won't see a *.m3u file. The export option is just to create a backup of the playlist, and importing them is really only needed if something happens to the original "db-stored" playlist.
aadam12

Unread post by aadam12 »

Thanks. I figured it was saved in the database since no actual m3u file was created in my Playlist folder.

[EDITED]
Now I see where I can edit the name of the playlist and check the box to make it available to other users. I think it would make more sense if you could name it when you save it like I can on my Android (but on Android how I can make the playlists that I save available to other users?).

I was confused by the Playlist Impot/Export folders on the Settings screen. I guess those are no longer necessary? Or is that for backups and upgrades?
[/EDITED]
gurutech
Contributor
Contributor

Import and export are mainly (at least from how I use them) for backup and restore.

I actually create my playlists through iTunes and export them to m3u8 files, then run a script to "convert" them to the way Madsonic needs them to point to my music library, and then import them into Madsonic.
aadam12

Unread post by aadam12 »

I use Ubuntu so sometimes I use Audacious on my home pc to create .m3u playlists (the paths to the music are all correct for my server). Then I can import them to Madsonic.

Thanks gurutech for helping me sort this out. :mrgreen:
Thanks madevil for taking Subsonic to the next level. :twisted:
newburns

Unread post by newburns »

So, back to the other question...
Is there a way to save the playlist on Android and select whether it is public or not?
gurutech
Contributor
Contributor

Saving on Android would be dependent upon the application you are using. I use the Madsonic app, but I haven't really needed to backup playlists (since I do it on my PC).

I do know that the iSub app for iPhones will allow you to copy playlists from "local" (the iPhone) to the server, and the other way around.
aadam12

Unread post by aadam12 »

RE: Android App -- It looks like it all depends on which app you are using.
I am using the latest Madsonic Android app.

On Android when you create a playlist and touch "Save As Playlist" it prompts you to rename it something other than "Date:Time".
It does NOT have a check box to "Make this playlist visible to other users".
Madevil: Please add this check box to the Android app.

Using a web browser when you click "Save As Playlist" it saves the playlist and automatically names it "Date:Time"
You have to go back and click on the playlist to load it in the top section of the window
Then click Edit, then rename it, then check the box "Make this playlist visible to other users"
Too many steps just to rename and share.
Madevil: Please have "Save As Playlist" prompt us to rename and "Make this playlist visible to other users"

This inconsistency between the browser and app version is confusing.

Thank you and keep up the great work.
aadam12

Unread post by aadam12 »

One more question about playlists. How for you delete a playlist on the Android app?

I keep deleting playlist in the browser version on my PC but they automagically keep reappearing.

I am running Mad sonic on an Ubuntu server, could this be a permissioning issue?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

EDIT
NEVERMIND, permissioning seems to be the issue on my Ubuntu server. All OK now.
/EDIT
These users thanked the author aadam12 for the post:
Madsonic
Rating: 7.69%