Running Subsonic and Madsonic at the same time ?

Need help? Post your questions here.
webvan
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Running Subsonic and Madsonic at the same time ?

Unread post by webvan »

Been using Subsonic for several years and got here after looking into a way to give access to different folders to different users.

I read the FAQ's on backing up/upgrading but I don't really have that many settings in Subsonic I need to hold on to so I decided to go with a straight install of Madsonic 5.0 Final thinking it might detect Subsonic. It didn't but installed itself fine and I just changed the port to avoid any conflicts. Logged in fine and started scanning for files.

I have a problem though in that I can't seem to create new users without getting an error. Actually I'm seeing that the admin password is not getting saved either. Is that something one would experience when running Subsonic and Madsonic at the same time or would it be totally unrelated? Thanks!
GJ51
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Running Subsonic and Madsonic at the same time ?

Unread post by GJ51 »

That depends...

Madsonic 5.0 - if I'm not mistaken - still uses the subsonic.xxx naming in the data files. The Techdemo beta uses madsonic.xxx so it's easier to setup a dual installation sub/mad sonic on one server. Of course all this can get confusing depending on which OS you're on.

I was able to successfully do a dual setup on Windows Server 2012R2 running Tomcat and using separate data directories. On my server there's a C:\Madsonic and a C:\Subsonic data directory so that each installation works independently.

If you run 5.0 you would only have the C:\Subsonic data directory (I think?) which could cause problems if you're trying to run a dual setup without changing and linking up separate data directories.

Listing the details of your platform might get you better input from other users with a similar OS etc.

HTH
These users thanked the author GJ51 for the post:
Madsonic
Rating: 7.69%
Madsonic
Administrator
Administrator
Answers: 7

Unread post by Madsonic »

Hi there,

for clarification:

Madsonic from version 5.0 and higher should work independently from Subsonic!
The only thing to take care off is, not the same IP port (4040) is used.

With Madsonic 5.1 the whole java namespace and all dependent variable names will be changed, because of the new database layout.
All database files \madsonic\db\ are initialized with madsonic.xxx, to avoid problems caused by faulty data migration.

in some very rare cases, the first initialization of the database fails, try again to start from scratch up.
  • stop Madsonic service
  • delete \madsonic\db folder
  • delete \madsonic\madsonic.properties file
  • start Madsonic service
  • recheck \madsonic\madsonic.log file
best regards
webvan
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by webvan »

Sorry, hadn't been notified of the replies, need to check my settings!

I did go ahead and install Madsonic and run it on a different port and it does indeed work fine. The only problem I've had is streaming some audio files using iSub on my iPhone. For no reason I can determine some just won't work with Madsonic while they do with Subsonic!