Can I use a Subsonic license in Madsonic?

Need help? Post your questions here.
rschoonderbeek
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Can I use a Subsonic license in Madsonic?

Unread post by rschoonderbeek »

Hello,

Currently I use Subsonic Premium on a Windows server.
I bought a Qnap TS-420 and have installed Madsonic.

I understand that Madsonic is a fork of Subsonic, thus this mean that my premium license key is valid for Madsonic?
When I enter the key in Madsonic it states that the key is invalid..

What am I doing wrong?

Regards.
GJ51
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Can I use a Subsonic license in Madsonic?

Unread post by GJ51 »

I don't know if this has changed for new users under the new Subsonic pricing scheme. I'm a legacy user with a lifetime key and I have used it on both Madsonic and Subsonic with no problems. Non-legacy licensing may be different. I think I read that Mad Evil will soon begin doing his own vanity redirection for licensed users in the near future. Maybe someone with a newer non-legacy registration can confirm or deny if it works with Madsonic.

In the mean time, you can always use the ip address and port number to make a direct connection or get another dynamic DNS service.

For a legacy lifetime Subsonic license holder it should work on either system. Just go to settings/network and check the box after you've validated you key.

Your key is just an MD5 hash of the email you used to register. You can check it for accuracy on any of a number of websites that do the calculation. Just do the Google thing if you need to.

EDIT: My bad - upon further review it does seem that 5.1.4800.beta2 no longer works with the Subsonic redirection service. My guess is that renaming all the files in the data directory has disabled the ability of the Subsonic redirector to function properly. Either that or the Subsonic server is messed up again. When I Save my network settings, I get:

Status: myserver.subsonic.org is registered, but could not connect to it. (NoHttpResponseException)

EDIT: I do have a dual Subsonic/Madsonic installation up and running. It's not the easiest thing to do to get both the Subsonic latest beta and the Madsonic latest beta running side by side on the same server - but it can be done. I have both running on a VM running Windows Server 2012 R2 on Tomcat. I was able to drop both war files into the webapps directory and get each to generate their respective data folders. I can use my Subsonic vanity address to get to the Subsonic site and then switch to the Madsonic site by just replacing subsonic/index.view to madsonic/index.view in the url.

If anyone wants to see it working for themselves just use guest to log in at http://mgmobil.subsonic.org once the page comes up you can just change the url as described above to log onto the Madsonic site. Both sites are identical and are designed primarily for connecting with my phone. Default transcoding is set to transcode mp3>ogg but I have set a guest player to not transcode the music so that mp3 tracks will just pass to the player, but if you connect and generate a new player you may not be able to play music because of the default transcoding.

That's a feature I would really like to see - separate default transcoding settings for desktop and mobile. Either that or enable the desktop players to play ogg. I never have seen a good explanation why the JW Player won't play ogg directly. Longtail's website says that it's a native format for the player, but I've never seen it work on any Subsonic fork. Who knows why ...
These users thanked the author GJ51 for the post:
Madsonic
Rating: 7.69%
GJ51
Contributor
Contributor

Unread post by GJ51 »

rschoonderbeek wrote:Hello,

Currently I use Subsonic Premium on a Windows server.
I bought a Qnap TS-420 and have installed Madsonic.

I understand that Madsonic is a fork of Subsonic, thus this mean that my premium license key is valid for Madsonic?
When I enter the key in Madsonic it states that the key is invalid..

What am I doing wrong?

Regards.

You're not doing anything wrong. it looks like this isn't working in the 5.1 Techdemo. My guess is that MadEvil will be implementing his own redirection service for the 5.1 final release.

For now if you want to connect from outside your network you'll either have to use direct ip:port# addressing or an alternate DNS service.
rschoonderbeek

Oh oke, thanks for the info. I guess it wil be fixed in a later release?

All I want to use is the mobile streaming option to my Windows Phone 8 app and the web player on Windows.
For my rederection I use dyndns.

Greetingzz.
GJ51
Contributor
Contributor

Unread post by GJ51 »

As an option you could just go back to the 5.0 SR1 final release until things are finalized for the 5.1 release. 5.0 still works with the subsonic.org address.
rschoonderbeek

Oke, thanks for the tip. :D
utopian

Unread post by utopian »

I'm on 5.1.4800.beta2 and my subsonic name still works :)
These users thanked the author utopian for the post:
Madsonic
GJ51
Contributor
Contributor

Unread post by GJ51 »

Clean install or upgrade?
utopian

Unread post by utopian »

GJ51 wrote:Clean install or upgrade?

upgrade on Windows Server VM 2012R2
shivan

Unread post by shivan »

If madsonic does require a new license, i will have no problem purchasing it. There have been so many improvements and Mad is so much more responsive than Sindre? ever was. I don't even bother looking at subsonic website anymore.
These users thanked the author shivan for the post:
Madsonic
GJ51
Contributor
Contributor

Unread post by GJ51 »

shivan wrote:If madsonic does require a new license, i will have no problem purchasing it. There have been so many improvements and Mad is so much more responsive than Sindre? ever was. I don't even bother looking at subsonic website anymore.

I'm comfortable with that as well. In fact I sort of feel obligated to make another donation whenever the cycle gets to another stable release.

I'm not so much in the "new features" camp as the "lets get something rock solid stable" camp.

As I see it, the biggest problem with all branches is stability and consistent performance. The most frustrating experience for a user must be the Java, Spring framework, and database failures. After that, and it's probably not the fault of the server platform, but the constant battle to get things working on the app whenever there's an Android update. An ongoing battle associated is the inconsistent video issues on the app.

I do realize that these are not trivial issues for the developers, but I really hope that more focus is given to these issues in the future as opposed to adding new features. I think that will do more to expand the user base at this point.

Ease of installation, solid recovery, dedicated transcoding separated for desktop/mobile, and stable video performance would really improve help solidify the application as a true winner for everyone.

Add a photo Album for pictures and it will be perfect!!

Thanks MadEvil for all you are doing to make this better for us users!
These users thanked the author GJ51 for the post (total 2):
Madsonicdaneren2005
Rating: 15.38%